Personal Correspondent: Minister of Environment, Forest and Climate Change. Shahab Uddin said that new projects are being taken in sustainable waste management. The Minister said these things at the seminar titled ‘Current Status of Circular Economy in Bangladesh: Problems and Prospects’ organized at FBCCI Auditorium on Sunday (January 16).


President of FBCCI. Industries Minister Nurul Majid Mahmud Humayun was present as the chief guest in the seminar chaired by Jasim Uddin. Also present, Independent University professor Dr. Mizan R Khan, Environmental, Natural Resources and Blue Economy Global Practice Senior Environmental Specialist Yung Joo Ellison, Chittagong University Forest and Environmental Science Department Professor Mohammad Mosharraf Hossain and FBCCI Panel Advisor and East West University Professor Dr. AK Enamul Haque and others.


The Environment Minister said that the Department of Environment has already taken a 10-year action plan for plastic management. Besides, a three-year special program has been taken to stop the use of single-use plastic in coastal areas.


He also said that the ministry is working seriously for e-waste and solid waste management in the country. For this E-Waste Management Rules, 2021 and Solid Waste Management Rules, 2021 have been made.


Shahab Uddin said that maximum 40 percent of plastic waste is recycled in the country and remaining 60 percent of plastic waste falls into land, reservoirs, rivers and seas causing environmental pollution. Four new projects aimed at sustainable waste management will start soon. Waste Reduction, Reuse and Recycling (Three R’s) Strategy for Management has been formulated for environmentally sound waste management. Along with the development of the country, we have to strive to protect the environment and biodiversity and combat climate change.


He also said that if circular economy is implemented in the country, the amount of extraction of underground and surface resources will be reduced, the sustainable use of raw materials will be ensured, the wastage of resources will be reduced, the amount of waste generated during the process will be reduced and most importantly, the greenhouse gas emissions responsible for climate change will be reduced. It will be possible to reduce the amount.


Sun News/MKH

.

Source link