Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte has said he is retiring from politics.
He is thought to have survived an earlier attempt to oust him following Mr Duterte’s decision.

Despite submitting nomination papers for Carpio Fer Davao’s mayoral election, such rumors are rife, according to Reuters.

“Today I am announcing my retirement from politics,” Duterte said on Saturday.

Loyal Senator Christopher ‘Bong’ Go was with him at the time. The senator from the ruling PDP-Laban party has filed nomination papers to run for vice president in next year’s elections.

Under the Philippine constitution, a president can only serve six-year terms.

Duterte (6) announced last month that he would run for vice president in the 2022 presidential election. But most Filipinos oppose it in the sense that it violates the spirit of the Constitution.

“I say to my countrymen, loyal to the wishes of those who supported me in the presidential election many years ago, I will follow your attitude,” Duterte said. He called on the people to support his longtime ally Bong Go.

Political analysts say it is important for him to find a loyal successor to avoid possible legal action in the country or through the International Criminal Court, which has killed thousands of people in the war on drugs since 2016.

The free-spirited man drew attention to China by ignoring its close ally, the United States. Opponents accuse him of being authoritarian and intolerant of dissent, but Duterte is still popular.

In May, more than 60 million Filipinos will vote to elect a new president, vice president and more than 16,000 legislators and local government officials.

Political observers have long speculated that Duterte could make a political splash by fielding his daughter Duterte-Carpio in next year’s election.

Shortly after his father announced his retirement from politics, Carpio submitted his nomination for re-election as mayor of Davao. But his focus is still on becoming a presidential candidate, and he has done nothing to dispel such speculation.

Carpio tops the list of potential presidential candidates in opinion polls. Last month, he said he had reached an agreement with his father that one of them would run for the national office in 2022, so he would not run for president next year.

But now that Duterte has announced he will not run in the presidential election, Carpio’s path is clear.

Antonio La Vina, professor of law and politics at the University of Antonio de Manila, said: He goes according to his father’s plan or it is a drama to confuse everyone. ”

Candidates will be able to submit nominations till Friday, but there will be an opportunity to withdraw candidature and change candidates till November 15. It has the opportunity to change the mind at the last moment. In the 2016 presidential election, Duterte also ran as a candidate for the last time.

Political analyst El Pareino believes Duterte is using the same tactics, and that Carpio will run in the last-minute presidential election.

Carpio did not respond to a request for comment, Reuters reported.