The Taliban demanded the destruction of IS cells after the Kabul bombing

A bomb blast near the entrance to a mosque in the Afghan capital, Kabul, has killed at least three people and injured dozens more, officials say.
A Taliban spokesman told Reuters on Monday that the militant cell in the northern part of Kabul had been destroyed on Sunday night.

However, it was not immediately clear if the operation had anything to do with the Kabul bombing. The blast in the Afghan capital is considered the deadliest since US troops withdrew from Afghanistan in late August.

ISIS-Khorsan, a local branch of the Islamic State, has already claimed responsibility for attacks on various Taliban targets.

A Taliban spokesman, Zabihullah Mujahid, said a special unit of the Taliban had launched an operation against an ISIS cell in the 17th district of Kabul, north of the capital.

“This final and successful attack completely destroyed the ISIS base and killed all the members of ISIS inside,” he said in a statement on Twitter.

Earlier, local media reported that there had been widespread clashes in the area. Residents in the area were contacted and confirmed to Reuters that they had heard explosions and gunfire at night.

In addition to IS, the Taliban have to fight the remaining forces loyal to Ahmed Masood, the opposition leader in Panshir, north of Kabul. Even then, the group that took control of Afghanistan claimed that they had established full control over the country.

But Sunday’s bombings in Kabul and the recent spate of incidents in the Pakistani border districts of Nangarhar and Parawan, north of Kabul, have not completely removed the security threat to the country.

IS has claimed responsibility for the bombing in Jalalabad, Nangarhar. Earlier, they also claimed responsibility for a suicide bombing in front of Kabul airport while evacuating foreigners and Afghans seeking to leave the country. The attack killed at least 200 people, including 13 U.S. soldiers.